Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Grab Your Popcorn



Sports and movies are probably my two favorite hobbies in this crazy world, so let's pair them together. Sports itself can provide more unscripted excitement then a movie ever can, but there are some that get the feeling right. I recently published my top 10 favorite movies over at Bat Flip Sports, so go check that out. However, I got more sports movies to talk about. Here are some movies that just missed my list.

THE SANDLOT


The Sandlot just missed my top 10 list, but I love this movie so much. It's super dependent on nostalgia, but I think it does a great captures the feeling of playing baseball with your friends. Also, you can't argue with the characters and the memorable lines.

HOOSIERS


Hoosiers is about a small-town basketball team and their quest to a state championship. Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper are worth the watch alone, but the inspirational story will stick with you as well. It's a perfect example of how sports can bring communities together.


WARRIOR



If you haven't watched this movie, holy hell are you missing out. This is the most underrated sports movie ever. I don't want to give away much because not a lot of people have watched it, but I will say the action is crisp, the characters are deep and thought out, and it's a great glimpse into the world of MMA. Seriously, watch it.

Now there's a lot of good movies, but man there's some terrible sports movies out there as well. Here are 3 to stay away from.


THE BLIND SIDE

Don't tell my wife because she loves this movie, but this is an overrated pile of garbage. The movie is melodramatic, Sandra Bullock's character is one-note, and it handled the legitimate racial issues so poorly. Even Michael Oher, the NFL player the movie is based on, has issues with the film.


SPACE JAM

My 8-year-old self is going to be pissed, but have you watched Space Jam lately? It's really bad. The movie, which has the whole collection of Looney Tunes at its disposal, gives most of the screen time to pro athletes and their terrible acting skills. That soundtrack is still dope though. 




ROCKY V

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a Rocky movie. This movie takes the character of Rocky Balboa to a place he didn't need to go, and the drama of the movie just comes off as silly. Don't watch it under any circumstance. There are plenty of much better Rocky options for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment